The saying ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ has never been truer than when applied to South African online casinos, most of which are bright, bold and colourful by design to entice you to sign up, make an deposit and continue depositing.
While there are many quick and easy ways to decide whether an online casino is reputable and trustworthy and thus worth playing on or not, their appearance is not one of them. The way a gaming site looks is nothing more than window dressing.
Sure it’s great if an SA casino is visually attractive, but its true measure lies in its portfolio of casino games, game providers (software vendors), pay-out percentages (RTP), bonuses and promotions, support facilities and if it’s licensed and regulated.
Any casino that ticks these boxes (and more) is considered to be safe and reputable, and thus worth playing on. This is important because when it comes to ensuring online casinos pay you what they owe you, you should only trust reputable sites.
On this page you can find out how to identify and avoid unscrupulous and untrustworthy casinos, as well as what you can do to ensure that top-rated casinos pay you every cent they owe you so as to avoid any disappointment or misunderstandings.
Online Casino Pay-outs – What You need to know to avoid frustration and disappointment
There are two ways to avoid frustration and disappointment when it comes to online casino pay-outs and both are easy to follow:
The first is to only sign up with licensed, reputable, tried and trusted South African online casinos. Although this may sound simple, to the untrained eye it can be difficult to identify ‘rogue’ casinos because they look legitimate, but are in fact dishonest.
To ensure you never encounter a rogue casino, just pick and choose from any of the premier ZAR casinos listed on this site, as each and every one of them has been thoroughly vetted, tried and tested by our review team, and deemed 100% safe and secure.
The second way is to always, repeat always, read the terms and conditions of every Rand online casino you’re interested in before you sign up. The reason is the T&Cs contain all the important information (rules and regulations) about a casino and its processes.
For instance, they list the casino’s age and player requirements (legal gambling age and permitted / restricted countries), bonus information (wagering requirements), deposit information and crucially, the withdrawal (pay-out) requirements and more.
The pay-out requirements are especially important, however, as the whole point of playing at the best South African casinos online is to win lots of money and cash it out. Remember, if you don‘t follow a casino’s T&Cs to the tee, you may not be able to cash-out.
With that in mind, here are a few juicy online casino pay-out tidbits for you to absorb:
Costs Associated with Pay-Outs
When it comes to the costs associated with your online casino pay-outs or withdrawals, this depends entirely on the withdrawal methods you select. The following is a breakdown of the most common casino cash-out options and their respective fees available to South African players:
- Visa & MasterCard – These are two of the most common online casino payment methods because most online gamblers own one or more credit cards, and they are so quick, convenient and easy to use. No fees are incurred from the casino if you make online casino withdrawals using a MasterCard or Visa debit or credit card (other than the regular monthly fees you’ll charged by your card’s issuing bank).
- EasyEFT – As one of the newest online payment methods on the ‘online gambling block,’ what’s great about this safe and robust electronic funds transfer method is that it was reportedly launched by a group of South Africans for South Africans. No fees are applicable when you use EasyEFT as an online casino pay-out method.
- SID Instant EFT – This is another highly popular banking options amongst South Africans because it’s simple, reliable and easy to use and can be accessed by players using desktop computers and/or smart mobile devices. At just 1.5%, SID boasts one of the lowest Instant EFT transaction fees in South African casino websites.
- Neteller – Used by tens of thousands of people daily in more than 200 countries, this is one of the world’s premier electronic wallets (e-wallets), and one used extremely often as an online casino payment method in South Africa. The good news is that if you use Neteller as your chosen pay-out method, you won’t be charged any fees.
- Skrill – A leading e-wallet, this payment method is another favourite amongst online casino fans in South Africa on account of it being so reliable and simple to use, as well as safe and secure, and trusted by over 35 million users worldwide. If you use Skrill as a method of withdrawal, you won’t have to pay any fees.
- EcoPayz – Formerly branded as EcoCard, EcoPayz is an e-wallet that has grown in popularity within the global online gambling industry in recent years, including at many of South Africa’s premier online casino and mobile sites. If you decide to make a casino withdrawal using EcoPayz, you won’t have to pay any fees.
- Bitcoin – One of latest additions to the online casino payment arena, world-leading cryptocurrency Bitcoin is growing in popularity as an anonymous, safe and cost-effective payment method for online casino fans in South Africa and abroad. If you make a pay-out to your Bitcoin wallet, you won’t have any fees to pay.
SA Casino Pay-Out Turnaround Times
It’s not only fees that fluctuate depending on the casino pay-out method you select, but turnaround times too, or to put it another way, transaction or payment clearance times. Where some pay-out casino methods will allow your withdrawn funds to clear instantly, others can take days or even weeks before you can access and use them.
It’s worth mentioning that these limits are usually determined by the respective payment methods themselves. With that in mind, the following is a list of the most common South African online casino banking options and their respective online casino pay-out turnaround times for comparison:
|Pay-Out Method||Turnaround Time|
|EcoPayz||1 to 2 days|
|Skrill||1 to 2 days|
|EasyEFT||1 to 2 days|
|Neteller||1 to 2 days|
|Visa / MasterCard||1 to 5 days|
|SID Instant EFT||1 to 2 days|
|Wire Transfer||Up to 4 weeks|
SA Casino Pay-Out Reversal Times
One difference between South African online casinos and their international counterparts is their pay-out reversal times. Where most SA casinos are more than happy to process your pay-out request within 24 hours, in many other countries like the UK for instance, it can take up to 3 days before you receive your cleared funds to withdraw them.
Essentially, online casinos implement pay-out reversal times to give you a chance to change your mind about making a withdrawal. They’re hoping you decide to keep your funds in the casino so you can play it all back. Unfortunately this strategy works all too often resulting in unhappy players, but at least at most SA casinos the reversal period is brief.
Whether you fall for this gambit or not depends solely on the strength of your willpower. Many players that choose to reverse their withdrawal requests justify this by thinking that they must have been on a winning streak to win in the first place, and that there may be a chance their streak is not yet over. They can’t help but to find out for sure.
SA Casino Withdrawal Limits
Most online casinos have withdrawal limits and SA casinos are no exception. In a nutshell, these are specified maximum and minimum amounts that you’re allowed to withdraw at one time or over given period. For instance, some casinos have a daily withdrawal limit while others have a weekly or even a monthly limit. It all depends on the casino.
If you don’t find a casino’s withdrawal limits listed under its Cashier or Banking tab, you’ll more than likely find them highlighted in its terms and conditions. These limits are typically set in stone, but can be wavered by the casino if you’re a VIP player or a high-roller. There are many reasons why casinos implement withdrawal limits, mostly to protect themselves.
No online casino wants to see players logging of with their pockets bulging, so by having limits in place ensures players have to stick around and hopefully keep playing and losing. They also ensure that they aren’t bankrupted by a slew of fortunate players at one time by limiting their liability. This is especially important in the case of progressive jackpots.
It’s not uncommon these days for online progressive jackpots to run into the tens of millions which is where online casino withdrawal limits really come into play. Many online casinos specify in their T&Cs that in the case of a progressive pay-out that the jackpot must be split into monthly instalments. You should be aware of these limits if you’re a progressive fan.